Emergency crews responded to a house fire on the 400 block of Main Street in Waconia at 6:32 p.m. Thursday, July 4.
Carver County Sheriff's Office deputies learned the homeowner had painted earlier in day and used rags and turpentine to cleanup. "The turpentine soaked rags are believed to have spontaneously combusted, leading to a fire in an attached garage/breezeway area," stated a Sheriff's Office press release.
"The homeowners exited the residence, then one of the homeowners re-entered the residence to try to save the family dog. Neighbors entered the house and pulled the homeowner out," the release stated.
There were minor injuries in the fire, which didn't require medical transport. The residence was a total loss and the family dog was not located, according to the release.
The state fire marshal responded and nothing suspicious was noted.
The Carver County Sheriff’s Office, Waconia Fire Department, State Fire Marshal’s Office and Ridgeview Ambulance responded to the incident.