Carver County Sheriff's Office

Carver County Sheriff’s deputies responded to the 400 block of Santa Fe Trail in Chanhassen at 7:57 p.m. Sunday, May 19 to investigate the report of a water heater explosion.

Upon arrival, deputies observed Simon Cox, 8, with scalding injuries, according to a press release from Carver County Sheriff Jason Kamerud.

Deputies learned Cox had been playing in the utility room of the home with a sibling and had hidden behind the water heater. During inspection of the utility room, a broken-off pressure relief valve was discovered, according to the press release.

The severity of the burns to Cox is unknown. Cox was transported to Hennepin County Medical Center by Ridgeview Ambulance for treatment.

The Chanhassen Fire Department also responded to the incident.

Community Editor

Mark Olson, the Chaska and Chanhassen community editor who has worked in Carver County for 20 years, makes any excuse to write about local history. In his spare time, Mark enjoys perusing old books, watching blockbusters and taking Midwest road trips.


Recommended for you