On Nov. 5, School District 112 is seeking approval of two referendum questions. Question 1 asks for renewal of a $9.1 million annual operating levy. Question 2 asks for approval of $2.45 million per year for six years to fund security and technology enhancements.
The newspaper welcomes letters to the editor on this topic and asks contributors to follow a few referendum letter-to-the-editor guidelines:
- Names signed on a letter should only represent one household. Group-written letters make it difficult to verify the letter writer.
- Letters must be written in the signer’s own words. Letters known to have not been written by the signer will not be accepted for publication.
- The newspaper asks that writers submit no more than one letter regarding the referendum before the vote. Publication of subsequent letters is handled on a case-by-case basis.
- Writers should include daytime phone numbers and their street addresses. This is for verification purposes; only the city of residence will be published.
- Letters may be copyedited for items such as facts, spelling and length.
- The last newspaper before the referendum is Oct. 31. The deadline for these letters is noon, Monday, Oct. 28. For this issue we ask that writers not bring up new issues pertaining to the referendum.