Along the Southwest Light Rail corridor, work is humming along on the green line extension. A construction update email from the Metropolitan Council sheds some light on how the work is coming, and what commuters and residents can expect from construction this summer.
Drivers can expect the following closures, the email says:
- Eden Prairie: Partial closure of the on-ramp from Valley View Road to eastbound US Route 212 in early July for three to four weeks
- Eden Prairie: Shoulder lanes will be closed on Interstate 494 at Flying Cloud Drive to allow for bridge construction, but traffic will otherwise be able to move normally
- Hopkins: Full closure of Excelsior Boulevard between Jackson Avenue North and Milwaukee Street in late summer during a pair of two-week-long closures totaling 28 days
- Hopkins: Full closure of Blake Road at Cedar Lake Trail for two weeks in July
Eden Prairie stations
Demolition of the Culver's at SouthWest Station in Eden Prairie is done, the email says. Look for work on the building's eastern entrance, median construction and and after-hours closures at the station, though buses will operate as usual, the email says. The passenger drop-off lanes have been moved to the west of the parking building and pedestrians must take a detour around the northern sidewalk on Technology Drive, which is closed for utility work.
At Golden Triangle Station, there will be no closures, but pile driving work will begin in the next few weeks so expect some heavy equipment in the area, the email says.
Along the corridor
Along the line in Eden Prairie, Minnetonka, Hopkins, St. Louis Park and Minneapolis, crews are surveying construction sites and working on erosion control, locating and installing new underground utilities, removing trees and vegetation and pile driving, according to the Met Council's email.
There will be pop-up outreach events hosted by staff working on the SWLRT project, the Met Council email says, and staff will also attend other community events to share construction information. There will be four July open houses from 4:30-7:30 p.m. on the following days:
- Tuesday, July 16, in the St. Louis Park City Council Chambers
- Thursday, July 18, at Eden Prairie City Center's Heritage Room
- Monday, July 22, at Eagle Ridge Academy, Minnetonka
- Tuesday, July 23, in the Bryn Mawr Elementary School cafeteria, Minneapolis
- Thursday, July 25, in the Hopkins Depot's Railroad Room
More detailed information on road closures will be available leading up to each closure, the email says. The latest information is available on the Twitter account @SouthwestLRT.