A frequent point of praise for Prior Lake has been its “small town feel,” but the fact is that the city is growing. This year, a number of developments are in the works or underway, including a higher than usual number of commercial developments.
“We’ve done more commercial development this year than in years past,” Prior Lake Community Development Director Casey McCabe said in is office on Aug. 21. McCabe said the additional businesses are mostly attracted to the overall growth of the town. More rooftops, he explained, generally means more interested businesses.
He anticipates the residential feel of the city will be similar to years past, but this year, there are more empty nester and starter home styles in the works, and more townhome developments.
“And still a significant amount of single family homes,” he said.
Here are the residential and commercial developments currently in the works for Prior Lake.
- Trillium Cove: Trillium Cove is planned for south of County Road 42 and north of Lower Prior Lake. The whole site is 92 acres, with 207 units of low-density housing planned. Ninety of those homes are multi-story, 52 are one-story and 65 are three-story attached townhomes. Some work on the site has already begun, including tree removal and grading construction. Street and utility work, as well as house construction, is expected this fall.
- Summit Preserve: Summit Preserve is planned for south of County Road 42 and east of County Road 18. The site is 54.8 acres and consists of 193 dwelling units — 71 single family homes and 122 townhomes. Grading on the site is near completion, street and utility work is underway and house construction is expected this fall.
- Haven Ridge: Haven Ridge is set to be north of County Road 42 and east of County Road 18. The site is 55 acres, and plans include 76 detached villas and 57 family homes: a total of 133 units. The final planned unit development will come before the Prior Lake Planning Commission Aug. 28. Then, the Prior Lake City Council will have its say on Sept. 5. Grading would begin later this fall, followed by street and utility work. House construction will begin late fall or early spring.
- Lochwood: Lochwood is planned for south of Carriage Hills and north of Lower Prior Lake. It’s a relatively small site of nine acres, with 22 dwelling units planned. All the grading and street and utility work are complete, and housing construction is currently underway.
- Grainwood: Grainwood is a new apartment complex for people age 55 and older, east of Highway 13, north of County Road 44 and west of Franklin Trail. It recently celebrated its grand opening on Aug. 14. The complex includes 170 dwelling units: 115 of them one-bedroom, 23 two-bedroom and 32 three-bedroom.
- Pike Lake Marsh: Pike Lake Marsh is a planned workforce housing development north of County Road 42 and west of Pike Lake Trail. The complex is planned to be three stories tall, with 15 one-bedroom apartments, 33 two-bedroom apartments and 20 three-bedroom apartments. Construction is underway, with completion expected in 2018.
- Courtwood Village: Courtwood Village’s phase II apartments are planned to be north of County Road 42 and west of MacKenna. The site is a little over four acres of high-density housing, with 54 market-rate units. Construction is expected to be complete this fall.
- Lake Ridge Apartments: Lake Ridge Apartments is planned to be three buildings of high-density housing. Each building will have 50 units, all market rate. Building plans have been submitted for review. Construction is expected to begin this fall.
- Versatile Vehicles: Versatile Vehicles is a recently-completed, 58,000-square-foot manufacturing and warehouse facility on Adelmann Street.
- Blahnik Law Office: This building addition on Colorado Street is currently under construction. Upon completion, it will add 4,700 square feet to the Adelmann Street facility.
- Boathouse Brothers Brewing: This brewery remodel is currently underway on the Main Avenue building.
- Fountain Hills Self-Storage: A 95,000-square-foot storage facility is under construction this month on Fountain Hills Drive.
- Prior Lake Revival: A new building for multiple local businesses broke ground Aug. 18, right by Duluth Avenue and County Road 21.
- Universal Motors: A new motor vehicle and repairs building is under construction on Welcome Avenue this month.
- SDDI Sign Systems: A new manufacturing facility is under construction this month on Adelmann Street.
- Port City Bakery: Construction for a 75,000-square-foot addition to the facility off Eagle Creek Avenue is set to begin this fall.
- Mystic Lake Center: A new hotel and convention center addition to Mystic Lake Casino Hotel is expected early next year on Mystic Lake Boulevard.