The Prior Lake trap shooting team nearly pulled off two state titles June 17.
Tyler Kingery won the individual crown at the Minnesota State High School Clay Target League State Championships at Alexandria Shooting Park. The Lakers ended up second in the team standings by 1 point.
Delano claimed the top spot with 481 points, and Prior Lake edged Buffalo by 1 point, so 3 points separated the top three spots. Foley was also right there, taking fourth (477) ahead of Forest Lake (476) and New London-Spicer (474).
Kingery hit 98 out of 100 targets to win his title. He won on a tiebreaker with Nathaniel VanderWeyst of Foley based on better reverse order, the longest run of hits in reverse.
Blake Rix and Tanner Thompson tied for eighth place for the Lakers, hitting 96 out of 100 targets. David Eckstrom and Ian Wheatcraft tied for 20th (95).
Other finishes for the Lakers included:
- Vincent Moster, Joseph Arvidson and Andrew Deming (T31st, 94)
- Logan Cloos and Wesley Brainard (T44th, 93)
- Caleb Brennan (T56th, 92)
- Gabe Czajkowski (T71st, 91)
- Matthew Ebhardt, Sam Christopherson, Jonathan Worthen and Reed Bartusek (T101st, 89)
- Michael Bremer and Evan Larson (T130th, 88)
- Josh Aspelin, Ben Brainard and Tom Beyer (T148th, 87)
- Alec Peterson (T171st, 86)
- Keegan Kinsella, Ethan Haglund and Brenden Seitz (T188th, 85)
- Owen Bartusek and Sydney Nelson (T201st, 84)
- Andrew Ringold, Jacob Doll, Kane Smith and Jake Corteau (T218th, 83)
- Grant Benson (T238th, 82)
- Nicholas Erbes (T270th, 80)
- Brandon Krivitz and Andrew Buckeye (T286th, 79)
- Logan Wendinger, Joshua Langhorst and Michael Reinarz (T295th, 78)
- Gavin Goetz (T306th, 77)
- Charles Yagla (T316th, 76)
- Callie Paul (T330th, 74)
- Alex Rau (T336th, 72)
- Jack Kiewiet (T338th, 69)
The Prior Lake skeet shooting team competed in the Class 2A Skeet State Championships June 20 in Alexandria, finishing third with 457 points. Wayzata won (483), while Hastings was second (460).
Centennial was fourth in the 12-team field (452), followed by Mahtomedi (451).
Wheatcraft and Kingery tied for ninth to lead the Lakers, hitting 94 out of 100 targets. Max Bunning of Wayzata won the title with a perfect score of 100.
Other finishes for the Lakers included Krivitz and John Schultz (T24th, 90), Ebhardt (T31st, 89), Cloos (T33rd, 88), Thompson (T38th, 86), Nelson (T54th, 81) and Larson (T71st, 76).
Three Prior Lake shooters competed in the Minnesota State High School League State Championships June 21 at the Minneapolis Gun Club in Prior Lake.
The top 100 shooters from the Minnesota Clay Target League regular season qualified for the MSHSL event. Woodrow Glazer of New Prague won the title with a perfect score of 100.
Kingery tied for 21st (97), while Justin Kingery tied for 52nd (94) and Thompson tied for 77th (91).
New Prague won the team title (484), followed by Alexandria (482) and Lakeville South (482). The Lakers finished 35th (455).
For more state results from all nine trap shooting classes as well as skeet, go to mnclaytarget.com.