No one was reported injured after authorities said a lightning strike sparked a gas fire at a Prior Lake home Wednesday.

New Prague, Prior Lake, Jordan, Elko New Market and Mdewakanton Sioux fire departments along with the Scott County Sheriff’s Office responded to the scene around noon at 22705 Balsa Circle.

By approximately 1:30 p.m., the fire was extinguished while gas exhaust continued to burn under firefighters’ control, Elko New Market firefighters said. One person was in the house at the time of the fire and got out safely.

The fire appeared to cause extensive damage to the structure’s inside.

“(Lightning) struck the home and went down into the gas meter,” said New Prague Fire Department Assistant Fire Chief Steve Rynda. “We were able to keep it to one side of the house.”

At around the same time, a fire broke out at 6015 White Drive. The fire was believed to have been caused by a lightning strike.

The Scott County Sheriff’s Office was assisted by the new Prague Fire Department, Prior Lake Fire Department, Jordan Fire Department, Elko New Market Fire Department, Mdewakanton Public Safety and North Ambulance.

The fire appeared to be extinguished by 1 p.m.

Events

Recommended for you