Three-year-old Quentin Belden walked over with eagerness and curiosity to see a real-life firefighter holding a real-life fire hose. Adam Hugger, who volunteers for the Savage Fire Department, held the hose as Belden pulled back a silver lever that let water shoot out of the powerful fire extinguisher.
The demonstration was just one of several at an open house hosted by the Savage Fire Department on Tuesday, Oct. 4 at the O’Connell Fire Station. Dozens of local families showed up from 5 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. that night to eat grilled hot dogs and cookies, watch fire safety and CPR demonstrations, check out fire trucks and much more.
“I’m happy that our community puts this on,” said Jeremy Bilyeu, 43, of Savage. He was there with his daughter, Izzy Bilyeu, a fifth grader at Harriet Bishop Elementary School.
They’ve attended this event the last few years, he said. Together they watched a presentation on what to do in case of grease fires in the kitchen, given by Jamie McCue, 48, of Savage.
“It’s really fun and it teaches you about fire safety,” the 10-year-old said.