A Shakopee furniture store was deemed a total loss after a fire Monday night.

Firefighters from several departments responded to a report of smoking coming from the TimberCreek Furniture, 1038 First Ave. E., at 9:18 p.m. Firefighters arrived to find heavy black smoke coming from the building and were able to locate the source of the smoke and extinguished the fire.

No one was in the building at the time, and there were no injuries, but everything inside is was lost due to fire and smoke damage, according to a press release from the city. At this point, it’s not not whether the structure is salvageable, the release said.

The building did not have a fire sprinkler system, as it was built prior to the building code requiring one.

Shakopee Fire Marshal Tom Pitschneider said it appears the fire burned for some time in the building before it was reported by one of the store’s neighbors, and there are no fire sprinklers or fire alarms in the building.

“If there were fire sprinklers, this fire would have been contained quickly and firefighters would have been provided a much earlier notification,” he said.

“Had the building been sprinkled, we probably would not have had this extent of property loss,” Fire Chief Rick Coleman said. “This is a sad reminder of the importance of fire sprinkler systems in minimizing damage.”

Store owner Peter Dirks was in Canada and had not yet seen the damage. He said the fire appeared to start from materials in a waste can in the back of the store. He doesn’t yet know what will happen to the building.

The state fire marshal is investigating the incident.

The Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux Community, Savage, Prior Lake and Chaska fire departments assisted with the fire.

This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.

Christine Schuster is a reporter for the Savage Pacer.

Events

Recommended for you